Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The cat's out of the bag...

First of all -- remember, Mom reads my blog (HI mom!!)...

Second -- remember, Mom's into month 4ish of a 10 day trip to Florida to visit my grandparents.

Third -- my mom is now taking care of my 92 year-old grandma. Grandma is doing very well, but it hasn't been easy for mom...

So, a while back mom's sister (my aunt) proposed that I come for a visit. I thought it was a good idea, and decided also that we should surprise mom --- because mom likes surprises.

I booked the ticket, then couldn't say anything about it here or on facebook -- lest I ruin the surprise. Meanwhile, mom's planning on buying a new laptop and asking for advice... and it's all I can do not to say, 'we'll do that when I get there'.

Monday afternoon I made a 'checking in' call to mom --- not long before I packed and headed out the door to see her.

Monday night I flew into Orlando. Tuesday morning aunt and I set off for grandma's place near the Atlantic coast (Sebastian, FL to be exact --- between Melbourne an Vero Beach....).

About noon, mom's expecting Aunt or the meals on wheels person -- and I walk in the door.

The look on her face was priceless. She actually was surprised, even though grandma spilled the beans asking when I was going to be there on Monday, mom thought grandma was mixed-up... no, Grandma was right :) -- she just can't keep a secret :).

So -- the person mom hires to sit with grandma when she needs to go out for a while came over yesterday afternoon, and will be here all day today.

Yesterday we got the laptop -- and I figured out how to make the wireless router talk to the craptastic cable modem... (removing the cable modem battery?? not in the help desk's checklist... but, necessary to make it work!!). So, now mom has a spiffy new laptop and can waste as much time as she'd like on the internet!!

Today -- we're doing the beach. Sun and sand, with our books -- until we can't do anymore, then some nature stuff and a late lunch someplace called "Squid Lips".... which comes highly recommended by my cousin.

I'll be here until Sunday....

5 comments:

Seeking Solace said...

How awesome. Have a great time.

Queen of West Procrastination said...

I'm so glad the surprise worked! Have a good time with your mom and grandma.

julie said...

I totally dig this: nice job, P!

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

In case you end up in Sebastian, FL -- go to Squid Lips -- it's a very cool restaurant on a pier over the Indian River --

mrc-w said...

What a great surprise for your mom! And that is so funny about how your grandma spilled the beans but your mom didn't take her seriously, haha!