Tuesday, June 05, 2007

workout update...

About 2 weeks ago we joined a gym.

It is kind of expensive, but it is nice. There are plenty of machines, a nice pool and plenty of towels. They have classes, most of which are included in our membership fees, a cafe, free wi-fi and other nice things.

All of which is to say that they make it as easy as possible to exercise, and I've been doing it. So far I've developed a routine for working out in the pool that includes swimming and some water aerobics. I think this is my favorite thing to do, but it also takes more time than doing the treadmill. Hubby has played raquet ball a couple of times and plans to join a league.

It struck me today on the way out of the gym what a luxury it is to be able to exercise for recreation. We pay to go to the gym, we take unpaid time to move our bodies and we don't produce anything at the gym except sweat. We also have the energy to workout after working at our regular jobs.

4 comments:

Seeking Solace said...

That is so awesome! It's amazing how much energy you have when you workout regularly!

I love water aerobics. It really is a good workout, without the impact.

Shea said...

Haha, it seems everyone's writing about working out, but I just commented on another site that I like exercising after the work day is over because it works out all the mental stress/drain associated with the work I do. I joined a softball league with some friends and it's been such a blast. Not to mention hiking in the hills that are right behind my house are quite tempting during the evening when dusk is approaching...

Miss Kitty said...

You're far ahead of me. I've yet to even join the gym. I get tired when I drive by it. :-P

My word verification for this post is SHAMCET. What the...?

Arbitrista said...

I just started running again, but it's hard. I worked out a bit in a gym in NYC, but I was spoiled by how close it was to where I lived! When I moved here, I just got out of it.

I wish I could hit the "fast-forward" button to where I start to feel some real results.