Friday, March 26, 2010

You'd think I'd have learned...

... that when you give an inch, students will expect another foot or two.

From now on, my on-line exam deadlines are hard and fast -- and I don't give a crap if they were abducted by aliens, they aren't changing.

What I want to know is, how frigging hard is it to take an on-line quiz for which you have OVER two weeks? Also, how can you confuse 7:45 AM with 7:45 PM? One is pretty frigging early for a class, the other is pretty frigging early to go to the bar --

I think next semester I'm going to have TWO syllabus quizzes. One general one -- with the standard policies etc... the other with the major dates. Both can be easily aced by looking at the frigging syllabus and class schedule.

Grrr -- really, how stupid can you be and still find the college on a regular basis? I have to wonder... is this because their high schools just coddled them? Is it because other profs have been marshmallows? Is it because they just aren't that connected or concerned with school? Really -- I'd have to choose all of the above.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, if I were you, I'd shorten the window. It seems like the longer people have, the more they abuse the deadline.

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

I've had shorter windows, and there are more problems -- because more stuff pops up...

I'm not sure what the optimal window is, I just know that I need to stick to it...

This summer it will be much shorter, because the semester is compressed.

julie said...

What's been working for me is these things:
1) 24-hour window (12:01 a.m. to 11:59 p.m.)
2) time limit for quiz (15 minutes)
3) two chances to take the quiz (highest score counts, although doing the in your case might be better)

Keep up the good work with CONSEQUENCES, which really matter