Thursday, March 18, 2010

out sick... kind of...

Recovery from surgery is a weird thing.

The surgery was laproscopic (5 small incisions vs. one big one), so -- unlike my mastectomy there are no drains, no changing of bandages etc. They kind of itch a bit, and ache, but overall they aren't a problem.

I am kind of tired -- but, they make naps, cats and my comfy bed for that.

I know I'm healing inside and all that -- so I'm taking it easy.

I suspect that, if I really had to, I could go back to work next week. I'd be dragging my butt back and forth -- and probably not getting much else done -- but, if the rent were on the line, I could do it -- I'm tough like that.

That's why I'm really glad that I don't have to. I love that my union negotiated a good number of sick days for me -- and that I haven't used them so far (breast cancer + chemo used 2.5 days). I suppose, in a weird way, I'm getting some of the days I should have taken during chemo -- and I'm kind of ok with that.

On the other hand -- I'm not 100% on leave. Whatever can be done on-line, I'm doing. This involves e-mails, collecting info etc, because I'm still department chair. This means answering student e-mails, monitoring and organizing presentations that will happen later as well as monitoring on-line discussions for ethics. Tomorrow I'll go to campus (my first time out of the house since Monday) to pick-up make-up exams. I'll then grade them, enter them and drop them off on Monday for my logic subs.

I'm also, slowly but surely, working on the last set of dissertation revisions -- a couple of hours at a time -- because my incisions ache if I sit too long...

Also -- we found a grocery delivery service -- with lots and lots of yummy stuff!! Our delivery arrives tomorrow evening... yumm!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hopefully you can enjoy a little of your recovery--watch some movies? Read?
Grocery delivery...I fantasize about that.

What Now? said...

Glad to hear that the surgery went well and that you're recovering. Insofar as it's possible, enjoy your well-deserved downtime!

phd me said...

Very glad the surgery went well! Hope the recovery is already in the past.