Saturday, February 06, 2010

I've been "unfriended"...

... and I don't feel bad about it.

To be honest, I accidentally requested the "friendship" -- the person is a friend's mother.

A while back she (the mom) posted something ignorant -- about a small issue. She was incensed that people under 25 needed to take a boating class.

As someone who grew up on a lake and knew about LOTS of stupid stuff people have done on boats, I said I thought it was a good idea.

She came back with some ignorance -- and one of her friends/relatives chimed in. I said that boats can be much more dangerous than cars -- especially since you can drown.

I got notice that ignorant friend said something like "well, if you grew up by water like my kids, you'd know it isn't necessary."

When I went to reply, it turns out that I'm no longer "friends" with the person... hmmm. So, for the record: I grew up on a lake. My dad taught me to "drive" a boat when I was 6. I've known people who were almost killed by other people in boats. A friend from high school lost her husband of 2 months (60 days!!) when he drowned in the lake I lived on. I think it's necessary..and, ignorant friend, if your 21 year-old gets hurt in a drunken boating accident, you'll think so too...

so there

also -- in case you were wondering, Facebook does not send a notice that you've been unfriended... I always wondered that.

6 comments:

Allmycke said...

Today I "unfriended" two previous students, because I don't feel a need to read about their drunken exploits or sexual desires.I've become less and less enamoured with fb lately and I know that I'll be more restrictive in accepting requests in the future.

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

I'm pretty careful about friend requests from students -- I've only accepted a few...

Anastasia said...

personally, I think allowing people to operate a boat without taking some sort of class is insane.

mrc-w said...

I grew up in Michigan and we had to take Boater's Safety class in 7th grade. The state figured that since we're surrounded by water and there are a ton of "inland" lakes, students are bound to be on the water at some point, and it's better to be safe than sorry! I don't know if that's still part of the curriculum though with budget cuts and prep for No Child Left Behind tests...

Green Girl in Wisconsin said...

Yeah, why would you need to take a class to learn boating rules? What with the potential to drown and all? Sheesh.
Again I am vindicated in my FB-free lifestyle!

三八 said...

最敏捷的,未必贏得競賽:最強大的,未必贏得戰爭:時間與機會才是主人..............................