Monday, August 09, 2010

The power of facebook...

For every complaint about Facebook, I want you to think about this as a counter..

I went to see Super-Mom's husband over the weekend... FB came along for moral support and because he loves the woods...

When we got there, it became clear to me that Super-Mom's husband wasn't going to meaningfully understand visitors for too much longer.

Early this morning, I sent a facebook message to his natural children -- who live in corn state. I didn't like to do it in a facebook message, but that's the only reliable contact I have with them -- they're my facebook friends.

They're on their way up to see him tomorrow.

The next time someone posts something dumb and you curse Facebook -- also remember that it's a means of communication that is bringing together a father and his daughters, most likely for the last time.

4 comments:

Breena Ronan said...

I don't mind the stupid stuff on Facebook. It is still worth it to have communication with all those people who I wouldn't be in contact with otherwise.

Anonymous said...

I don't "do" Facebook, but I recognize it's power which is why our PTA is on it now--a lot of people will check that before emails!
How nice that they really paid attention to your post and went to see him.

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

Yea -- I feel good about that. I think they were kind of waiting for Mom to say -- get your ass up here.. but, she wouldn't or couldn't -- because she'd have to admit how far he's failed... and that's really hard. They've been together for almost 30 years...

Bardiac said...

I'm sorry about your step-father, but glad you were able to help his other daughters make a connection.

I really like that I can have easy contact with my cousins across the country on facebook, and old college friends.