Sunday, February 08, 2009

7 more goodbyes...

I just said goodbye to Hubby. He drove away in our little green Jeep Liberty --- the vehicle we've had so much fun in. The front seat is tilted just the way I like it -- my foot rests comfortably on the dashboard.

Every time he leaves, it feels like I should be going with him. Especially now, when he knows he only has this last semester at his uni ---so he doesn't want to go back.... and I know it would be better for him if I were there.

I just counted -- we'll have seven more of these goodbyes -- including the times I leave Red State to return to BNstate and the time in March we'll say goodbye in some airport because he'll be flying back to Red State and I'll be flying back to BNstate.

Seven is a good number -- I can handle it, even if I don't like it.

I'm eager to get on with the next phase of our adventure. I know he'll love law school. I know we can make it on my salary and that my job is pretty darned secure (nothing's perfect, but being tenured at a state college with increasing enrollments does mean that if we "go out of business", things have turned from terrible to horrendous).

I'm looking forward to the more than minor hassle of dealing with all the stuff he'll bring home from Red State.

I'm looking forward to times when I'm sick of him -- and he of me. That means we'll really have spent some time together... and, like getting caught up on our sleep --- we'll have gotten caught up on each other.

I'm looking forward to coming home from work and finding him here -- even if he's left the laundry and dishes undone because his game got intense. I'll be irritated, but not too much.

I'm looking forward to nagging him to clean the cat box.

I'm looking forward to wanting to be alone for a bit when he or I have to travel -- because then the travel isn't just another weekend we can't see one another.

In short, I'm over this long-distance thing and I want a 'normal' (for us anyway) life back.

Can I have it now instead of May -- pretty please?

2 comments:

This Ro(a)mantic Life said...

Oh how I sympathize. My husband and I have about four or five more goodbyes to go ourselves (we try to see each other every three weeks since we have to fly and it's expensive). May can't come soon enough!

~profgrrrrl~ said...

The goodbyes totally suck. I hope they pass quickly for you.