Friday, April 30, 2010

Class updates...

  • Ethics students are doing well with their presentations. The presentations take the form of a pecha kucha, in which students have 20 powerpoint slides, each displayed for 20 seconds, to answer a question.. The presentations weren't perfect, but they were original and they moved quickly enough to avoid boredom. The best thing is that I didn't hold their hands in the process, I didn't do a bunch of developmental assignments or anything. They signed up for their groups, organized themselves, did the work and hopefully learned something. I tried to give clear expectations, consult when asked and then check in at the end to make sure the group had something to present.
  • Logic is in a bit of a panic now -- of course, some of them are just now realizing that when I told them to do an on-line quiz for points, I meant it. Not doing that quiz means they don't get to opt out of the final -- AND the final replaces their last two quiz grades... so there. They could still fail... hmmm. These folks really shouldn't tempt me, I can enter an A or and F with equal effort -- and I'll do it.
We have one more week left -- and next week is logic week -- lots of grading, wrangling and begging will happen. I'll consult the syllabus, ask why they think they are special enough to get an exception and deny just about everyone.

No comments: