Sunday, October 30, 2005

Philosopy Factory, frustration

Philosophy Factory thought for the day.

How am I supposed to both teach sections of 50 and know all of my student’s names. Setting up performance conditions that are unable to be met is silly.

Also, how am I supposed to catch plagiarism by knowing my student’s writing styles when I don’t even know my student’s names.

Also – anothe big department pisses me off – one of them said in a meeting last week, with an air of complaint in her voice, “I have 100 students we could test this on…” – I didn’t even look at her when I said, “I could do it with my 200 students as well… “ – AARGH.

Also, my co-worker JR is staying home again– how long, I wonder. I’m not sure that JR understands that when I’m not in my office, I’m not missing classes to travel for debate… it is kind of like JR has to work less than me in some bizarre contest. Of course, that isn’t hard since I do work all the freaking time… but.

I’m liking the new co-workers I’ll call G and HH Both are really nice people who are working hard both to be good teachers and good philosophers. I’m glad they are in the department, as they both push me in different ways to finish my dissertation.

No comments: